Monday, February 9, 2009

Back to Cali Continued

Ok back to my mission. The one thing any person with A.D.D. strives for is focus! So often I find myself saying to myself and others FOCUS! So…. Back to Cali part 2 I met a new friend in my photography class to take along for the show. Began looking at hotels to find them all booked up. Recalled I had access to a RV and got that all worked out. Turned out the RV was a 76ish, no air conditioning beast. It was perfect for my bohemian, hippie, reliving my childhood camping adventure. I think the final name that stuck was the Yellow Submarine! Friday was a late start, work pays for the music, so, gotta respect the work. Missed Nickel Creek but arrived jus t in time for Amy Winehouse. She played her Back to Black verbatim which was fine. I was glad to see her when I did. She crashed and burned shortly after. She’s on this year’s line up pretty close to the top; we’ll have to see if she can pull it off! The night finished off with Sonic Youth. I was not impressed. Call me crazy, but I just wasn’t. Saturday parking was a nightmare so missed many acts but did make it to Arcade Fire, well worth fighting Indio’s finest to get a parking space. Red Hot Chili Peppers were a loud disappointment. They need to lock themselves into another house with George Clinton and find the funk. They took the breadth of the Coachella audience for grant it and played their Top 40 B.S. Although I was the only person with in an arm’s reach to know Higher Ground was a Stevie cover. Coachella is smart about how they sell 3 day passes and individual passes to insure music lovers are not over shadowed by people there to just take in the headliners. So in my opinion the Chili Peppers should have dropped their "Stadium" line up and really got into the guts of their music. The musical intelligence of the crowd would have "got it" and the top 40 kids would have got an education in RHCP's true ability. But instead they played it safe, Fuckaree. Made my way to the Black Keys after RHCP, rested in the lawn closed my eyes and listened. Enjoyed. By next time I will have familiarized myself with their tunes and take them front and center. Not a lounging in the lily pond kinda band but by that time lounging was all I could muster. I wrote these notes shortly after the show 2 years ago, just now creating a collective collection of my concert experiences. This year Black Keys will be making an appearance, I will be ready!